CA AB 1570
took effect as Code 87411 on 1/1/2016. The Bill:
- Applies to residential care facilities for the elderly.
- Requires staff members who assist residents with personal activities of daily living (including kitchen staff, activity staff, OTs and PTs, and all direct care staff—CNAs, LPNs, RNs) to:
- Receive six hours of dementia care training before working independently with residents.
- Receive an additional six hours specific to dementia care to be completed within the first four weeks of employment.
- Undertake eight hours of dementia care training annually.
- States that training coursework may utilize various methods of instruction, including lectures, instructional videos, and interactive online courses.
- The training shall include:
1. Physical limitations and needs for the elderly
2. Importance and techniques for personal care services
3. Residential rights
4. Policies and procedures regarding medication
5. Psychosocial needs of the elderly
6. Dementia care, including the use and misuse of antipsychotics and effects on
the elderly relevant to controlling behavior of persons with dementia
7. The special needs of persons with Alzheimer’s disease and dementia including
non-pharmacologic, person-centered approaches to dementia care
8. Cultural competency
Dementia Care Specialists Can Help You Meet the Training Requirements!
Helping You Train Staff
Dementia care units and facilities across the US use our Dementia Capable Care
training program to raise the standard for memory care. Training focuses on information about Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia, discusses how to communicate with people who have dementia and their families, and centers on how to maximize function, safety, independence, and quality of life for residents with dementia.
How to Get Training
Our training can be tailored to the unique needs of your facility, staff, and residents. With our train-the-trainer option, select staff can be certified to teach the Dementia Capable Care
training program to other staff on a continuing basis. We have numerous public programs
coming up throughout the US, and customizable on-site training
is also available.