A new law in New Jersey mandates training for the specialized care of patients with Alzheimer’s/dementia.
New Jersey SB 2960
was passed into law on January 19, 2016, relating to home health aides licensed in New Jersey. The bill takes effect on January 1, 2017. Key points include:
1. The bill requires the curricula for the homemaker-home health aide education and training programs to provide for comprehensive training in the specialized care of patients with Alzheimer's disease including:
(a) The causes and progression of Alzheimer's disease and related disorders.
(b) The methods to deal with the specific problems encountered in the care of patients with
Alzheimer's disease including, but not limited to:
- Communicating with patients with Alzheimer's disease.
- Psychological, social, and physical needs of patients with Alzheimer's disease.
- Safety measures which need to be taken for patients with Alzheimer’s/dementia.
2. A person who applies for certification or recertification as a homemaker-home health aide on or after 1/17/2016 must successfully complete the training required by this bill as a condition of receiving certification or recertification.
Dementia Care Specialists Can Help You Meet the Training Requirements!
Helping You Train Staff
Dementia care units and facilities across the US use our Dementia Capable Care
training program to raise the standard for memory care. Training focuses on information about Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia, discusses how to communicate with people who have dementia and their families, and centers on how to maximize function, safety, independence, and quality of life for residents with dementia.
How to Get Training
Our training can be tailored to the unique needs of your facility, staff, and residents. With our train-the-trainer option, select staff can be certified to teach the Dementia Capable Care
training program to other staff on a continuing basis. We have numerous public programs
coming up throughout the US, and customizable on-site training
is also available.