Texas HB 2684
, effective June 20, 2015, requires school resource officers in districts with over 30,000 pupils to complete an education and training program that includes child development, positive behavioral interventions, conflict resolution techniques, de-escalation techniques, and techniques for limiting the use of force, including the use of physical, mechanical, and chemical restraints.
Key points of the bill include:
CPI Training Can Help You Comply
- It requires the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement to create a model training curriculum for district peace and resource officers for use in training and certification of officers’ completion.
- The officers must go through at least 16 hours of training, unless they have completed a similar course.
- It requires the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement to make available the curriculum to the school district by February 1, 2016.
- The education and training program cannot require a peace officer to pass an examination.
- The bill requires the commission to administer an examination to qualify officers to provide the education and training to other officers.
Schools throughout the US use our Nonviolent Crisis Intervention®
training program because it focuses on prevention, de-escalation techniques, and other alternatives to restraint. Our training helps staff identify underlying causes of student behaviors, and how staff and student behaviors affect each other. The program also emphasizes:
How to Get Training
- Evaluating risk of harm and signs of distress
- Documenting incidents
- Safer, less restrictive holding skills to be used only as a last resort
- Debriefing strategies to help prevent incidents from recurring
We can bring the Nonviolent Crisis Intervention®
training program on-site to your school
, or you can attend training in one of more than 150 public locations
throughout the US.
CPI also offers courses and resources on autism spectrum disorders, trauma-informed care, integrating PBIS with training, and many more topics to help you increase care and safety for everyone in your school.
Get helpful hints for crisis intervention
, and learn about CPI training and restraint reduction