I’m excited to announce that our new Topic Module, Workplace Substance Abuse
, is now available! This is great news because this course can help you handle issues you might deal with at work.
No matter what kind of impairing substance someone is affected by—whether it's alcohol, street drugs, prescription medications, or something else—there's a higher risk for workplace accidents, absenteeism, presenteeism, family or social problems, stigmatization and discrimination, deteriorating physical or mental health, pain, distress, and disability—plus decreased productivity. It's also costly.
In the US alone, a study found that approximately 20 million adults
have problems with substance dependence or abuse. About 12 million (60%) were employed full time. In addition to higher absenteeism and lower job productivity and performance, substance abuse also leads to greater health care expenses for injuries and illnesses. The Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse estimates that the use of alcohol and other drugs and substances in Canada is a $40 billion-a-year problem
for businesses and for society.
So what does this mean for you at work?
While you shouldn’t be expected to diagnose alcohol- or drug-related problems or provide counseling, training can help all staff be aware of workplace substance abuse and the importance of your organization’s expectations and practices. It can help you explore the role of various employees in supporting your organization’s policies and procedures. Supervisors should also know how to identify and address employee performance problems, and they should understand how to refer employees for assistance. Our new Topic Module is designed to help you meet these goals and:
- Identify your organization’s Drug-Free Workplace policies and procedures.
- Describe the prevalence, progression, and dangers of substance abuse.
- Recognize and address workplace issues that may be related to impairing substances.
- Respect and protect workplace confidentiality.
- Intervene in problem situations that may escalate to crisis.
- Refer individuals who may be experiencing a substance abuse problem to appropriate resources.
- Continue a constructive working relationship with an individual who has been referred for help.
- Maintain a workplace atmosphere of Respect, Service, and Safety at Work®.
The Workplace Substance Abuse
Topic Module may also assist your organization in complying with some of the specific training requirements under applicable Drug-Free Workplace standards or laws within specific jurisdictions. It's the responsibility of your organization to make this determination.
This unique training program is intended to help, whether you:
- Need to meet specific employee education requirements under various Drug-Free Workplace laws.
- Need to meet specific supervisor training requirements under various Drug-Free Workplace laws.
- Do not need to meet specific employee education or supervisor training requirements under any Drug-Free Workplace laws but instead choose to teach this Topic Module for employee knowledge and enrichment.
No matter where you work, this Topic Module can help. It can be taught in conjunction with a Prepare Training®
, Nonviolent Crisis Intervention®
, or Dementia Capable Care
program or other Topic Modules
. We can bring this training onsite to your organization, or if you’re a Certified Instructor, you can teach this course to your colleagues.
Certified Instructors, you can log in to order workbooks online
or give us a call, and don't forget: each workbook order includes a complimentary set of Teaching Notes!
Not an Instructor? Please feel free to call 877.877.5389 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
with any questions about this training.