The state of New Jersey has proposed a bill concerning training for homemaker-home health aide education as it relates to the care of patients with Alzheimer’s/dementia.
New Jersey SB 378
relates to training requirements for home health aides in section 1 of P.L.1947, c.262 (C.45:11-23):
- Adds training in specialized care of patients with Alzheimer's disease and related disorders to the current home health aide training program.
- This training program will include:
(1) The causes and progression of Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders
(2) The methods to deal with the specific problems encountered in the care of patients with Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders, including, but not limited to:
a. Communicating with patients with Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders.
b. The psychological, social, and physical needs of patients with Alzheimer's disease and related disorders.
c. Safety measures which need to be taken for patients with Alzheimer's disease and related disorders.
Dementia Care Specialists Can Help You Meet the Proposed Training Requirements!
Helping You Train Staff
- Any person who is certified or who applies for certification as a homemaker-home health aide may complete a training and education program in the specialized care of patients with Alzheimer's disease.
Dementia care units and facilities across the US use our Dementia Capable Care
training program to raise the standard for memory care. Training focuses on information about Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia, discusses how to communicate with people who have dementia and their families, and centers on how to maximize function, safety, independence, and quality of life for residents with dementia.
How to Get Training
Our training can be tailored to the unique needs of your facility, staff, and residents. With our train-the-trainer option, select staff can be certified to teach the Dementia Capable Care
training program to other staff on a continuing basis. We have numerous public programs
coming up throughout the US, and customizable on-site training
is also available.