Reduced training time, uncompromised quality
Crisis Prevention Institute: Dementia Capable Care, 2nd Edition
We are excited to roll out this new edition of our long-standing, highly regarded Dementia Capable Care training
. Find out about all the updates and new benefits our 2nd
Edition has in store for you.
Why did we create Dementia Capable Care, 2nd Edition?
First and foremost, we always listen to feedback and have heard how challenging it can be for staff to take time for training. We solved this problem with our new program being more time efficient in these ways:
- For our Instructor Certification Program: instead of requiring three days to become a Certified Instructor, it now only takes one and a half days—all done virtually.
- For those taught by a Certified Instructor: instead of the Certified Instructor and their participants (e.g. Nursing aides back at their workplace) needing to be in a classroom together for 8–16 hours, this new program and blended learning approach reduces total training time to 6–8 hours, with about half taking place online and half being taught by an Instructor.
- It’s the same great content, it’s the same great person-centered and abilities-focused approach, but it’s refreshed for greater efficiency and effectiveness.
- Integrating the core components of Dementia Capable Care: Foundation and Dementia Capable Care: Behaviors into one program, CPI’s Dementia Capable Care, 2nd Edition blends the Claudia Allen Cognitive Disabilities Model and Kitwood’s model of person-centered care with CPI verbal de-escalation techniques and expertise in a fresh and efficient new approach.
- The training—both for Instructor certification and workplace training—is now a blended program, with a portion of materials presented online and a portion being Instructor-led.
- We worked with our bright and passionate international colleagues to make this refresh applicable globally. Content supports all individuals living with dementia—whether in the US, UK, France, or any international location.
- Another reason for the 2nd Edition is that becoming certified to teach a program full of content that truly impacts knowledge and skill can be daunting, and for some it could take a while to gain the confidence and mastery to teach. That’s why we’ve now taken the core content and integrated it into an online learning component.
Benefits for Certified Instructors
- With core content first taught in the online module, this new program design makes it easier for Certified Instructors to focus the Instructor-led class time on application work.
- Our Instructor Certification Program is now virtual, saving on time and travel costs.
- Re-designed Instructor Guide makes it easier than ever for Instructors to deliver the program.
Benefits for staff/caregivers
- The online portion of the content offers continuing education units for all participants. This includes the staff that Certified Instructors teach.
- The program focuses on frontline staff. The core audience our Certified Instructors teach are frontline staff, so we used this lens as we refreshed Dementia Capable Care, 2nd Edition. Now more than ever, the language, examples, and case studies will resonate with frontline staff while being applicable for all who work in healthcare and long-term care.
- The program has a fresh new look, using a multimedia approach to help learners stay engaged, and inspire interest in improving their care approaches.
Benefits of having core content in the online learning component
- Certified Instructors’ burden is lessened.
- Content is delivered consistently.
- Certified Instructors can better focus on application in their Instructor-led portion.
To summarize, we created Dementia Capable Care,
Edition to address the number one request from our customers – to reduce the amount of training time, without compromising the integrity of the program, and to make it easier for our CIs to train their front-line staff.
We couldn’t be happier with the end results. We can’t wait for you to see our new CPI Dementia Capable Care
model, which serves as the framework for learning and for care delivery. It pulls everything together for a great learning experience and a model that can and should be used every day in your dementia care.
By integrating our new Dementia Capable Care,
Edition into the fabric of your organization, you will elevate your training, elevate your brand, and elevate your staff.
Together, we are making the world a better place for those living with dementia. We thank you for allowing us to be a part of your journey. Dementia Capable Care,
Edition is truly a labor of love by many, and we are excited to share it with you at launch in October.
Request a Call
Image credit: wavebreakmedia/Shutterstock