On March 7, 2020, Virginia passed into law Senate Bill 171 – School Resource Officers and School Security Officers; Training Standards (VA SB 171/VA ST § 9.1-102), which goes into effect on July 1, 2020.
Read the Bill in full and see how CPI training helps you comply
with every requirement set forth. Or, see the notable highlights below:
- School security officers are now required to attend minimum training that includes de-escalation techniques such as physical alternatives to restraint, awareness of cultural diversity and implicit bias, and working with students with unique needs.
- Law enforcement officers serving as school resource officers are now required to attend minimum training that includes mediation and conflict resolution using de-escalation techniques, awareness of cultural diversity and implicit bias, and working with students with unique needs.
CPI Training Helps You Comply With This Virginia Bill
CPI offers training and resources to help school resource officers meet mandates like the training requirements set forth in the Virginia regulations. Nonviolent Crisis Intervention®
training equips staff with techniques for both the prevention of and the safe use of restraint. Our train-the-trainer program helps staff identify underlying causes of student behaviors, and how staff and student behaviors affect each other. The program also emphasizes:
- De-escalation and confident management of crises
- Evaluating risk of harm and signs of distress.
- Documenting incidents.
- Alternatives to physical holds
- Safer, less restrictive holding skills to be used only as a last resort.
- Behavioral supports.
- Implementing evidence-based practices.
How to Get Training
We can deliver a training program to your facility
, or you can attend training in one of more than 170 public locations
throughout the US.