Part of the Professional Development Series for Educators:
Part of your role as a professional may include the task of delivering difficult news to students as well as adults. Examples can include school discipline matters, student athletes being cut from a team, challenges to grades, placements into advanced or specialized courses, program cuts, and staff reductions. This session offers strategies for conducting these types of conversations so that dignity and respect are maintained and relationships are preserved.
- Determine strategies for safely delivering difficult news that maintain dignity and respect for the individual.
- Discuss the importance of preparation and maintaining professionalism.
- Apply identified strategies through scenario-based practice.
- Identify support resources for staff and/or individual(s) receiving difficult news.
- Initiate plan of action for development of skills.
- Establish or maintain a workplace culture of Care, Welfare, Safety, and SecuritySM.
Session materials include a Learner’s Guide and an Electronic Presentation. When you order the Learner’s Guide, you may access the program’s downloadable Facilitator Guide here