One-Day Foundation Course
The Foundation Course establishes a common framework about Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias (ADRD), a best-abilities perspective, dementia stages, behavior management, and care techniques to promote the best ability to function. Complete this course and pass a free follow-up exam with six months to earn Dementia Care Specialist Certification.
- Identify empowering paradigm shifts to create successful outcomes for those with dementia.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias and their impact on cognitive function.
- Identify cognitive assessments and screening tools to identify best ability to function.
- Describe the best ability to function and key remaining abilities for each dementia stage, as defined by Allen Cognitive Levels.
- Identify key care approaches for each dementia stage to promote the highest possible level of function in ADL, mobility, and leisure activity.
- Understand strategies to enhance communication, minimize negative behaviors, and support families.
A Certificate of Participation for seven contact hours for the Foundation Course will be provided as well as CEUs. It is the responsibility of the participant to ensure that these courses meet their CEU requirements prior to registration.
Two-Day Foundation and Behaviors Course
Building on the Foundation Course, this course combines the Allen Cognitive Levels, person-centered care, and Crisis Development ModelSM to empower care partners to prevent and de-escalate challenging behaviors.
- Recognize dementia-related challenging behaviors as communications of unmet wants and needs, or feelings of distress, and then identify corresponding de-escalation strategies using Person-Centered Care, the Allen Cognitive Levels, and the Crisis Development ModelSM.
- Gain strategies to anticipate and calmly de-escalate distress behaviors, strengthening the relationships with individuals in care.
- Learn appropriate intervention techniques for when distress behaviors escalate in the moment.
- Discover how evidence-based models of Person-Centered Care serve as the foundation for effective non-pharmacological behavior prevention and reduction strategies and solutions.
- Find out how to establish proactive prevention plans and frameworks for debriefing situations as a team, to effectively identify and address Precipitating Factors.
- Ensure the Care, Welfare, Safety, and SecuritySM of everyone at your organization by decreasing the frequency and severity of distress-related behaviors, using nonpharmacological interventions.
A Certificate of Participation for seven contact hours for the Dementia Capable Care: Foundation Course and seven contact hours for the Dementia Capable Care: Behaviors Course will be provided in addition to CEUs. It is the responsibility of the participant to ensure that these courses meet their CEU requirements prior to registration.
Three-Day Instructor Program
The Three-Day Instructor Program, our train-the-trainer course, allows an organization to create a positive, congruent approach among all staff. After taking the Dementia Capable Care Two-Day Foundation and Behaviors Course, on day three, participants learn how to deliver consistent staff training rooted in a person-centered, abilities-based model integrated with the Crisis Development ModelSM — all to ensure the Care, Welfare, Safety, and SecuritySM of everyone at your organization.
Upon completion, you become authorized to teach the Dementia Capable Care Foundation Course and Behaviors Course within your organization and receive continual support from the CPI and the DCS team.
- Learn key teaching points for each unit of the Dementia Capable Care Foundation Course and Behaviors Course.
- Discover strategies for staff training in a person-centered, abilities-based model integrated with the Crisis Development ModelSM.
- Identify adult learning methods to promote retention and training transfer.
- Find course customization techniques to build relevance for different staff groups.
- Understand DCS quality standards that support ongoing staff training.
- Teach a practicum training in-class to prepare for teaching at your organization.
Benefits of Instructor Certification
Find Training Dates Near You!
- 1:1 coaching services that will help develop your team to create positive memory care outcomes.
- Free refresher courses to keep your skills up to date.
- Access to CPI’s quality training materials and resources to train within your organization.
- Documentation of all training activities.
- Access to CPI’s global online network of Certified Instructors.
- Approval to submit the Dementia Capable Care Foundation Course and Behaviors Course to gain CEU approval for internal trainings using your preferred provider status.
- Ability to train the Dementia Capable Care Foundation Course and Behaviors Course within your organization and award additional staff with Dementia Care Specialist Certifications for both courses.
- Receive a free Instructor Manual, electronic presentation to help you deliver the program, and a starter supply of 10 Foundation Course Participant Workbooks – a $489 value for your organization.