One-Day Foundation Course
The Foundation Course establishes a common framework about Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias (ADRD), a best-abilities perspective, dementia stages, behavior management, and care techniques to promote the best ability to function. Complete this course and pass a free follow-up exam with six months to earn Dementia Care Specialist Certification.
- Identify empowering paradigm shifts to create successful outcomes for those with dementia.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias and their impact on cognitive function.
- Identify cognitive assessments and screening tools to identify best ability to function.
- Describe the best ability to function and key remaining abilities for each dementia stage, as defined by Allen Cognitive Levels.
- Identify key care approaches for each dementia stage to promote the highest possible level of function in ADL, mobility, and leisure activity.
- Understand strategies to enhance communication, minimize negative behaviors, and support families.
A Certificate of Participation for seven contact hours for the Foundation Course will be provided as well as CEUs. It is the responsibility of the participant to ensure that these courses meet their CEU requirements prior to registration.
Two-Day Foundation and Care Partner Applications Course
Building on the Foundation Course, this course emphasizes application and includes activities, case studies, and discussions relative to assessment, care approaches, documentation, and functional maintenance programs.
- Link information about ADRD, cognition, and stages of dementia to work realities.
- Identify care approaches that will facilitate best ability to function for an individual at each stage of dementia.
- Practice person-centered communication strategies and care approaches specific to each stage of dementia.
- Develop customized care strategies.
- Create a comprehensive care plan, given communication strategies, care approaches, and behavior responses.
- Explain how various team members’ efforts contribute to achieving positive outcomes for persons with dementia.
A Certificate of Participation for seven contact hours for the Foundation Course and six contact hours for Care Partner Applications will be provided as well as CEUs. It is the responsibility of the participant to ensure that these courses meet their CEU requirements prior to registration.
Three-Day Instructor Program
The Three-Day Instructor Program, our train-the-trainer course, allows an organization to create a positive, congruent approach among all staff. After taking the Two-Day Foundation and Care Partner Applications Course, on day three, participants learn how to deliver consistent staff training rooted in a person-centered, abilities-based model.
Upon completion, they become authorized to teach the One-Day Foundation Course within their organization and receive continual support from the CPI and the DCS team.
- Key teaching points for each unit of the Foundation Course.
- Strategies for staff training in a person-centered, abilities-based model.
- Adult learning methods to promote retention and training transfer.
- Course customization techniques to build relevance for different staff groups.
- DCS quality standards that support ongoing staff training.
- Assigned practicum training for each participant.
Benefits of Instructor Certification
Find Training Dates Near You!
- 1:1 coaching services that will help develop your team to create positive memory care outcomes.
- Free refresher courses to keep your skills up to date.
- Access to CPI’s quality training materials and resources to train within your organization.
- Documentation of all training activities.
- Access to CPI’s global online network of Certified Instructors.
- Approval to submit the Foundation Course to gain CEU approval for internal trainings using your preferred provider status.
- Ability to train the Foundation Course within your organization and award additional staff with Dementia Care Specialist Certification.