One-Day Foundation Course
The Foundation Course establishes a common framework about Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias (ADRD), a best-abilities perspective, dementia stages, behavior management, and care techniques to promote the best ability to function. Complete this course and pass a free follow-up exam with six months to earn Dementia Care Specialist Certification.
- Identify empowering paradigm shifts to create successful outcomes for those with dementia.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias and their impact on cognitive function.
- Identify cognitive assessments and screening tools to identify best ability to function.
- Describe the best ability to function and key remaining abilities for each dementia stage, as defined by Allen Cognitive Levels.
- Identify key care approaches for each dementia stage to promote the highest possible level of function in ADL, mobility, and leisure activity.
- Understand strategies to enhance communication, minimize negative behaviors, and support families.
A Certificate of Participation for 7 contact hours for the Foundation Course will be provided as well as CEUs. It is the responsibility of the participant to ensure that these courses meet their CEU requirements prior to registration.
Two-Day Foundation and Dementia Therapy Applications Course
Your clients are important to you. You want to enhance quality of life and ensure people receive care appropriate to their abilities. As a therapist, you are in a prime position to maximize the function and well-being of people in your care.
The Dementia Therapy Applications course builds on the fundamental concepts, providing therapists with specific skills on how to evaluate and treat personas at all cognitive levers, and how to unlock the keys for documentation and reimbursement.
- Further describe stages of dementia with an in-depth look at each Allen Cognitive Level.
- Describe cognitive assessment tools associated with the Allen Cognitive Disabilities Model and other complementary staging tools.
- Examine and practice writing goals and treatment plans for each Allen Cognitive Level.
- Describe the influence of Can Do, Will Do, May Do, and other factors on functional performance potential.
- Discuss keys for reimbursement.
- Understand how to create and implement a maintenance program.
Interested in Training Others in Your Organization?
Many therapists have also participated in our interdisciplinary care partner training. By successfully completing the Three-Day Instructor Program, therapists become authorized to teach the One-Day Foundation Course within their organization and receive continual support from the CPI and the DCS team.
A Certificate of Participation for 7 contact hours for the Foundation Course and 7 contact hours for Dementia Therapy Applications will be provided as well as CEUs. It is the responsibility of the participant to ensure that these courses meet their CEU requirements prior to registration.
Two-Day Dementia Therapy Intermediate Course
When you’ve completed the Two-Day Foundation and Dementia Therapy Applications Course, the Two-Day Dementia Therapy Intermediate Course will help you achieve greater understanding of the Cognitive Disabilities Model developed by Claudia Allen and application of both the Cognitive Disabilities Model and the Theory of Retrogenesis for evaluation, treatment intervention, documentation, and programming.
There is a teaching emphasis on assessing, treating, and documenting for individuals with comorbidities, with special emphasis on psychiatric comorbidities. This course uses multiple challenging case study lab sessions to build the skill and confidence of the dementia therapist.
- Understand how to use the Allen battery to accurately identify a person’s Allen Cognitive Level and to apply the Allen level to reimbursable goals and treatment approaches addressing deficits in ADLs, mobility, leisure activity, cognition, communication, and/or swallowing.
- Identify how psychiatric illness impacts function and cognition.
- Establish treatment plans to reduce behavioral outbursts and improve function and safety.
- Understand how to use the Allen battery and clinical reasoning skills to assess and treat persons with dementia who experience psychiatric and other common comorbid conditions.
- Discuss methods to integrate the Allen Cognitive Level assessment and treatment methods into various clinical settings.
- Identify key documentation elements for reimbursement.
A Certificate of Participation for 13 contact hours will be provided as well as CEUs. It is the responsibility of the participants to ensure that this course meets their CEU requirements prior to registration.
Find Training Dates Near You!