Apply ASD Concepts to Your Nonviolent Crisis Intervention® Training
Nonviolent Crisis Intervention® Foundation Course Focus on Autism Online Course
Nonviolent Crisis Intervention®
Focus on Autism is an eLearning course that teaches you how to customize and adapt your Nonviolent Crisis Intervention®
training sessions to staff who work with individuals on the autism spectrum. With virtual instructors leading the way, this two- to three-hour course breaks down each unit of the Nonviolent Crisis Intervention®
Foundation Course to help you correlate the additional information and customize it to the modules you will teach your staff.
Who Will Benefit From This Course?
- Current Nonviolent Crisis Intervention® Certified Instructors who have completed Nonviolent Crisis Intervention® training after July 19, 2015.*
- School districts, medical facilities, and group homes with staff who support students or clients with special needs/autism.
- Schools that require compliance with regulations specific to special education.
- Anyone seeking professional development opportunities in supporting individuals on the autism spectrum.
Program at a Glance
Developing a deeper understanding of ASD helps enhance relationships built on the foundation of Care, Welfare, Safety, and SecuritySM
. The videos in this eLearning course demonstrate how an individual on the autism spectrum might handle social interactions, and they teach you specialized communication skills. You'll learn new ways to help staff see cognitive processing differences as strengths
rather than deficits. This helps staff understand behaviors and respond appropriately.
The course also gives you:
- Updated autism research and resources.
- Topics around self-injurious behavior.
- Tools to adapt communication skills for nonverbal individuals.
- Information about legal considerations when caring for individuals with autism.
Your purchase includes downloadable Instructor Notes
. Use these for guidance, to take your own notes as you experience the online course, and to integrate into your Nonviolent Crisis Intervention®
Instructor Guide to adapt the trainings that you conduct. You’ll also have access to ASD-specific activities, case studies, references, and resources.
To equip you with even more learning opportunities, we’ve partnered with the Institute for Behavioral Training (IBT)
. IBT was developed by a team of Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBA), and their content is strongly rooted in Applied Behavior Analysis. When you complete Nonviolent Crisis Intervention®
Focus on Autism, you'll get access to additional learning modules on the IBT website to further enhance your professional skills. Learning module descriptions can be accessed here
This Course Fully Equips You to Tailor Your Trainings
Instructors who successfully complete this course are equipped to begin tailoring their Nonviolent Crisis Intervention®
Foundation Course classes to include autism-related content immediately. You don’t need to purchase any additional learning materials to start tailoring your training right away.
The Instructor Notes
- A pre-assessment to determine areas where participants have a firm grasp of the content and areas for improvement, allowing you to customize each training to participants' needs.
- Unit-by-unit integration of autism-related content with Foundation Course material.
- Examples of ASD-specific activities to ensure competency and training transfer.
If you are a current Nonviolent Crisis Intervention®
Certified Instructor who has completed Nonviolent Crisis Intervention®
training after July 19, 2015, you may enroll now
. (Please note: You will need to be logged into your account to enroll).
For More Information
For more details about this training or help determining if it's right for you and your organization, please call 877.877.5390
*The Nonviolent Crisis Intervention®
Instructor Certification Program is a pre-requisite. You don’t need to wait until your next renewal to take this optional course, but you do need to be a current and active Nonviolent Crisis Intervention®