Substance abuse is a devastating worldwide problem. This Topic Module will help you recognize workplace performance problems related to drugs, including alcohol and other impairing substances. It will also help you intervene in problem situations that may escalate to crises.
Workplace Substance Abuse
- Identify relevant areas of your organization’s Drug-Free Workplace policies and procedures.
- Describe the prevalence, progression, and dangers of substance abuse.
- Recognize and address workplace issues that may be related to alcohol, drugs, and other impairing substances.
- Respect and protect workplace confidentiality.
- Intervene in problem situations that may escalate to crisis.
- Refer individuals who may be experiencing a substance abuse problem to appropriate resources.
- Continue a constructive working relationship with an individual who has been referred for help.
- Maintain a workplace atmosphere of Respect, Service, and Safety at Work®.