Answers to your questions about the Dementia Capable Care training program.
1. Will I earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for attending the Dementia Capable Care (DCC) training program?
You will receive a Certificate of Completion documenting the Contact Hours and IACET CEUs for completing Dementia Capable Care training, along with any pre-approved Boards. For more information on specific pre-approved Continuing Education and Training Boards, visit our Continuing Education Information page.
2. Will my learners earn CEUs when participating in training conducted by a Certified Instructor?
Your learners can earn IACET CEUs for completing the online course (which is the first part of our blended delivery training). For CEUs from the Live Classroom or Virtual training, the Certified Instructor should apply to relevant Board(s) for their learners. To learn more about applying for CEU approval for your learners, log in to My Account.
3. What does it mean to obtain the Dementia Capable Care Specialist Credential?
Having the Dementia Capable Care Specialist Credential means that you:
- Are formally recognized to apply Dementia Capable Care training within your organization.
- Are established as a dementia training professional who values comprehensive learning and enhancing your expertise.
- Are committed to delivering person-centered care for those living with dementia, and you are devoted to the health, safety and welfare of persons at all stages of dementia.
4. How do you earn the Dementia Capable Care Specialist Credential?
The Dementia Capable Care Specialist Credential can be earned in one of two ways:
- You successfully complete and pass the Dementia Capable Care training program (approximately 7 hours of training) delivered by a DCC Certified Instructor. This credential can be obtained by both Certified Instructors and participants who receive training from the Certified Instructor.
- You register for, and successfully complete and pass, the Dementia Capable Care Specialist Credential Training program (approximately 8 hours of training). This training program is delivered directly by a DCS Global Professional Instructor and is designed for non-instructors who wish to receive the DCC Specialist Credential without a need to train others.
5. Who can earn the Dementia Capable Care Specialist Credential?
This credential can be earned by any health care professional who is responsible for providing care to those living at different stages of dementia. If you would like more information about offering training to family members or loved ones, please contact us.
6. What is the difference between the Dementia Capable Care Training and Dementia Capable Care Specialist Credential Training programs?
Dementia Capable Care Training is for individuals wishing to become a DCC Certified Instructor and be certified to teach Dementia Capable Care concepts. The participants can then earn the DCC Specialist Credential at the completion of training delivered by the certified instructor.
Dementia Capable Care Specialist Credential Training is for individuals who want additional training and credentialing for their own professional development. This training program is delivered directly by a DCS Global Professional Instructor and is for individuals who do not have a need to train others.
7. Is there a fee for earning or maintaining Dementia Capable Care Specialist Credential?
For individuals receiving training from a Certified Instructor, contact the individual Certified Instructor and/or the organization hosting the training to learn if there is a charge for the course and/or materials involved to earn this credential. Each learner is required to use the participant workbook to complete training; the credential can be found in the back of the participant workbook. To order workbooks, log in to My Account.
Note: This credential comes in the form of a card, which instructors and learners keep as a record of completed training.
For individuals receiving training directly from a DCS Global Professional Instructor through the DCC Specialist Credential Training program, there is a fee to attend the training program. To learn more, search for an upcoming DCC Specialist Credential Training program.
8. How long is the credential valid and how frequently does it need to be renewed?
The Certified Instructor will indicate on the credential card the amount of time the credential is valid. Best practice guidelines are that Certified instructors require annual training to maintain this credential, however, your Certified Instructor may extend this to every two years. To renew, learners must re-take the Dementia Capable Care training with a new participant workbook.
Note: Certified Instructors are required to renew their instructor certification every two years, at which point they will also receive a renewed credential.
9. Can the online course be licensed and loaded into my company’s Learning Management System (LMS)?
Yes, this is an option in some cases, please reach out to DCSsolutions@crisisprevention.com, to request more information about this option.