Pending Iowa legislation SB 3112 is written to establish minimum dementia-specific training and competency evaluation requirements for staff members working in facilities or programs and for service providers that serve persons with Alzheimer’s/dementia:
- The bill requires training curriculum to incorporate principles of person-centered dementia care.
- The bill establishes minimum dementia-specific training requirements for staff.
- The bill requires staff members whose work involves extensive contact with residents and providers that serve persons with Alzheimer’s/dementia to receive training and evaluation.
- The bill applies to providers of in-home services, if the facility, program, or service provider is regulated by the state or receives any state or federal funding.
- Employees hired after January 1, 2017 must receive training within 30 days of hire.
- Employees hired before January 1, 2017 must receive training by April 1, 2017.
- If employees received documented training before January 1, 2017, the staff will be deemed to have satisfied the requirement.
- Each facility must establish a continuing education program for dementia-specific training.
- The bill requires approval from the Department of Inspections and Appeals for the training, curriculum, and competency evaluation.
Dementia Care Specialists Can Help You Meet the Proposed Requirements!
Helping You Train Staff
Dementia care units and facilities across the US use our Dementia Capable Care training program to raise the standard for memory care. Training focuses on information about Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia, discusses how to communicate with people who have dementia and their families, and centers on how to maximize function, safety, independence, and quality of life for residents with dementia.
How to Get Training
Our training can be tailored to the unique needs of your facility, staff, and residents. With our train-the-trainer option, select staff can be certified to teach the Dementia Capable Care training program to other staff on a continuing basis. We have numerous public programs coming up throughout the US, and customizable on-site training is also available.